Monday, July 27, 2015

Set the Course for New Hampshire

Today, as Kenmore Wellington finally finished unpacking all of the clothes from New Hampshire Rainbow’s Grand Assembly, we reflected on the adventures shared with my sisters in another state. Visiting Grand Assemblies in other states is terrific, because we have never felt more welcomed anywhere else we’ve been (well, okay, the staff in Disney are pretty great too). New Hampshire Rainbow treated my family and me as one of their own, and I am incredibly appreciative of their great hospitality.

Kenmore Wellington had expected that this would be a nerve-wracking experience, because it was the first time visiting an out-of –state Grand Assembly as the mascot of the Grand Worthy Advisor. That meant that all eyes would be on Rebecca as she took her place at the podium to share remarks on behalf of Massachusetts Rainbow Girls. But then I saw something that filled me with confidence and gave my words true meaning. I saw all of the friendly faces of my Massachusetts Rainbow sisters who had also come to see what Grand Assembly was like in another state. It was then that Rebecca and I realized that I was speaking as a representative for my state, and that thought filled me with immense pride.

This weekend, much was learned by watching Jennifer Messina preside over her Grand Assembly for the final time as Grand Worthy Advisor. She did a wonderful job by inspiring her members to have confidence in themselves and “open their stage doors,” which complimented her Broadway theme. Seeing how close Jennifer was with all of her Grand Officers and Grand Representatives was impressionable.

Kenmore Wellington is meeting many friends of the various jurisdictions, which included Connecticut, Vermont, New York, Rhode Island, and Maryland. Our GWA owners shared the plans they each had made for their own Grand Assembly sessions and discovered that, even though they all came from different places, one thing they shared as leaders of their organizations was that they all had an intense interest in making Grand Assembly special for their officers and members.

This weekend reinforced what I had always considered to be my purpose in becoming a leader: to be a voice for all of my Rainbow sisters who had great ideas for our organization. People aren’t always heard, and their suggestions can go unrecognized. And it is my job to make sure that that doesn’t happen.

By coincidence, we happened to watch “The Princess Diaries” immediately after getting home from New Hampshire. I remember watching this movie for the first time when I was about seven years old, and remember liking it, yet not being overly impressed. Now, though, I have found new meaning in the speech that Mia gives at the very end of the movie. She has been debating whether or not she wants to accept her role as Princess of Genovia, because she has always tried to blend in and focus on her own interests without attracting attention (even if she has something to say). Her best friend Lily, on the other hand, tries without success to lobby for a number of causes. Lily explains that she is very jealous that Mia has the opportunity to affect great change. Yet Mia is conflicted because she doesn’t want the kind of attention that she would receive as a leader. Finally, as she is about to renounce her title, she realizes that her decision cannot be based solely on what she wants for her future. She explains that she only ever thinks about herself, and that this is a terrible way to live. She resolves to be an advocate for others, and takes courage from those who rely on her.

This is what being a leader is all about: not only having a voice, but saying and standing up for what is right for those around you. Kenmore and I learned a lot this weekend, and we are very thankful for the opportunity to travel and learn. We also look forward to attending more Grand Assemblies this year and seeing the great impact that my fellow Grand Worthy Advisors have had on their states.  

My next port of call is Kenmore Wellington’s residence in cabin 18 at Rainbow Camp, so it’s time to re-pack our bags.

What is the tea selection today? Glitter and Gold from David’s Tea!

And in my imagination, we are drinking it with Julie Andrews, a.k.a Queen Clarisse Renaldi of Genovia.


      

 

No comments:

Post a Comment